February 13, 2011

Realizations are a bitch


Well.. over the last month I have realized that finding a job, even as a nurse, won't be as easy as I was hoping, or as I expected. I feel like there is a clock ticking away and I'm running out of time! So stressful!

My absolute dream is moving to New York, but the licensure thing is definitely throwing me for a loop. I just don't know if I'll have time to get all that done before someone wants to hire me. I've been applying all over. With all kinds of care: oncology, home health, med/surg. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

I have to say, though, that since I have made this lovely announcement, people have been so great about helping me: offering me a couch to crash on, I even have one person who is trying to help me get a job at her hospital: Sloan-Kettering. It's a legit place, lemme tell ya!

I don't know. I would love to get the hell out of dodge as soon as possible, but I don't know if that will be tangible. I keep closing my eyes and seeing myself hopping on and off the subway--which, by the way, after this snowpocalypse, I ABSOLUTELY NEVER WANT TO HAVE A CAR AGAIN. What an effing story.

Let's go down that road for a second, because it's just ridiculous. So basically, this picture is what happened to my car. I went to clinical that day, being the good little student that I am, and watched as the world slowly turned completely bleak and white. I finally left at about 4, so my day was only 9 hours, because if I hadn't, I would have spent the night. And people, that was the LAST thing I wanted to do. So I bundle up, go to the employee lot which is 1093857102398 miles away, and what do I find? The snow plows have boxed me in. EFF. So then, I traipsed back the 1093857102398 miles back to the hospital and batted my eyes at a dude with a caterpillar so he could dig me out.

I then proceeded to have a heart attack the whole way home because I couldn't see but 5 cm in front of my car. I finally made it to little 42nd street, and tried driving down Booth Place. No dice. Stuck. So I parked on 42nd, thinking "I'll move it when the plows come by". Turns out 42nd is an emergency snow route, though there are ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS, and my car was towed. THEN, I go down to the shadiest tow lot on the freaking planet to retrieve Baby Jetta, pay the 180 bucks, and try to go on my not-so-merry way. I then find the car shimmying at 60mph: my alignment got fucked by the hooks on the truck. So THEN, I had to pay another 260 to have my alignment fixed and rods replaced since they had been bent. Fantastico.

Needless to say, my blood was boiling for about 5 days.

But back to the situation at hand: New Yaaawwwkkk and jobs, yes. So... basically I will take wherever will hire me at this point. I am trying my hardest to do what I really want, but that may not happen right away, and I'm kind of ok with that. I've applied for about 10 jobs so far, most at Shawnee Mission here in KC. I applied for a couple Home Health agencies in San Francisco, Denver, and I think Chicago, Sloan-Kettering in New York, a couple of Home Health agencies there I think... Everywhere basically.

Being a grown-up is definitely not all it was cracked up to be. 10-year-olds of the world: heed my words. Stop wishing for it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your "Dude Where Is My Car" picture is blocking some of your words...but i got the gist of what you were trying to say...and girl that sucks! i just wish i could have been there to watch this all happen with a camera! I love you! You will find that awesome job! Prayers are with you! Muah! =)

Rachel said...

I love you. The end.