August 29, 2011

A Dream...Postponed

So, as many of you know, I have gotten a job at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, and I couldn't be more excited! The whole process was so great, and easy. The staff seems great, and the work will be really challenging, which I'm looking forward to! I do have to say, I interview quite well; it's a life skill that I am very blessed to have, seriously. I got the job all thanks to a friend who works there, and I could NOT be more grateful to her, because without her, I probably wouldn't have even heard about it, so thanks to Karin!

I know that I talked about it for 20984 years, and built up the fact that I was just going to "pull the trigger" and move to New York City. I still plan to do that, but my priorities and rational mind made me really think about what is important to me, and made me postpone my plans. I've been told that I'll "get stuck" here once I find a job and have a place to live, but to be quite honest, I don't think so. I still have a lot of things that I want to do, and that I plan on doing. Just because I'm staying in Kansas for the time being, doesn't mean I have to put all my dreams on the shelf. Hell, maybe my life will be improved! The cost of living here is one of the best in the country, and being blessed with such a great job and such great earning power, I'll have a LOT of time to do the things I enjoy, and live really well.

When I decided to stay, one of the factors involved was that I have so many great friends, and my amazing family that live here, and I'm not quite sure I want to go and make a life for myself in another city just yet. Going to a brand new place, even with just one person you know, is scary and can be very lonely. Trust me, I've done it. My first few weeks in Spain were some of the loneliest in my whole life. I wouldn't ever take them back, but I want to be ready.

Another thing that got me thinking was that my best friend is having a baby in the spring, and of course, because I'm so cool, I get to be the godmother. HOLLA! A lot of things are going on in my family that I want to be around for, and let's be honest: people from the Midwest are, in large part, just good people. They open doors and let you pass on the highway, they say hi on the street, you have green space to chillax in. You certainly won't find that in a big city.

Having travelled pretty extensively in my life, as most of you know, I have gained a great appreciation for where I'm from, and I have internalized the fact that I can't ever let myself forget. It keeps both my feet on the ground, and humility is something I really value in a person. Sure, Kansas isn't the most glamorous place you'll ever be in your life, or the most politically progressive, or the most geographically beautiful, but there are a lot of great people that live here, and that is a very important fact to remember.

After all that philosophical blather, time to do fun things!! I've been studying my butt of for the NCLEX, and should have a date soon. Hopefully I'll be earning money by late September, and I'll get the ball rolling.

Also, my dear friend, Rachel has advised me to make this little doodie-blog into a v-log of sorts, and I think that could be fun. Prepare yourselves for ridiculousness and no makeup!

You all are tray-sures, and I appreciate each and every one of ya's, A. for reading all the crap that comes out of my head and onto this blog, and B. for jumping on my bandwagon and riding out all my indecisions with me. The support is really quite phenomenal.

I wish you all sunshine and roses, porque that is surely what I am experiencing at the moment.
Do a little dance
Make a little love
Get down tonight

1 comment:

Rachel said...

YES!!! I cannot wait for glorious glorious videos and your sassyness you wonderful woman you! I'm so proud of you and happy, hooooray! Oh, and btw, we should totes have a music exchange, whatcha doin tomorrow night?? I am goin to work out with my bestie, Lauren, but then must see you...I'm house hunting Thursday and her and I are workin out again on Wednesday so either tomorrow or wed. after that and I'd say Thursday but you're not free girrrrrl.

Love you! and so happy that you are finding happiness :)