June 18, 2010

Ah how things change

It has been awhile. Last semester was the craziest, most stressful period of time I have ever experienced. Believe me, I am so glad it is over. Though summer is here, I am still taking classes, which blows, but at least it's only one class: Peds. I love kids, but I don't know about sick ones. It's so hard to see them, you know? Little kids are supposed to run around and be happy and have fun, not be in a hospital fighting for their lives, or to be so disabled that their quality of life is shot to hell. I took care of a patient today that had some pretty severe developmental delays, and he was so sweet. I loved taking care of him, but at the same time, his whole situation broke my heart. We will see how this rotation goes. I have a feeling it is going to be extremely hard, but at least it's only for 7 weeks.

I didn't end up adopting a dog to my dismay. Gabriel, my wonderful, funny, smart, fantastical dog of 14 years died in May, from which I am still recovering. I get less motivated to study for tests every day, though I should probably start preparing for the NCLEX. Becca and I are planning to move somewhere big next year and start brand new lives as kick-ass nurses. Life is good right now. Busy, but good.

In other news: went to Europe for a couple of weeks, had a blast, and am planning to go to Minneapolis to see a friend in a few weeks. ALSO, I found out about an opportunity to go to Africa to provide health care, and I would absolutely LOVE to go, so I am trying to raise funds in my name to Mercy and Truth, which is the organization that plans the trip. I hope it happens because that would be amazing.

No comments: