January 19, 2014

Things you don't see...

I get a lot of crap for "not doing things" at work, directly or indirectly. There are a multitude of things that nurses do for people that go unnoticed.

I didn't get to the patient's room in time, so their bed alarm went off and now the family is mad because it's sounding. 
I was on the phone with the doctor asking for pain relief for another patient. 
I didn't remember to bring you a warm blanket like you asked.
I was trying to get my other patient's wounds dressed.
I didn't put the IV right where you wanted.
I placed it where I knew I could get it the first time.
It seems like I'm coming off cold when you get bad news.
In truth, I have to act emotionless, or I'll fall apart too. I'll probably cry for you when you can't see me. It's called empathy, and I have a terrible case of it.
You're mad because "no one told you what I need?!"
No, the call light message must not have been passed on, and now I'm magically supposed to read your mind. Ok. 
You need answers, so you need the doctor in here RIGHT NOW.
That doctor probably has 10 pages to answer and 23 more patients to see. I will let him/her know, but they probably can't be here right this second.


When I spend two hours on the phone trying to find an oxygen tank so you can make it home safely,

When I can't get you a new pair of socks because I'm Rapid Responding a patient who's tanking,

When your relatives are upset that I haven't given you any pain medication, yet you haven't asked,

When I can't give you what you want,

It's because I want you to have enough oxygen to last you until the home health nurse can come in the morning. It's 5pm on Friday afternoon, I'm trying as best I can.

It's because that patient who was tanking needed me more than you needed another pair of socks.

It's because I want to treat your pain, but I don't want to sedate you. I cannot read your mind, you must ask yourself.

It's because I have your best interests in mind. 

Most days I have no problem at all. Some days I just can't do anything right.

Every day I make sure that I do everything I can to make you better.





1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love you and your commitment to helping people in the health industry and in life.

That is all.