August 13, 2010

Another day, another whatever

And so it is 105 degrees today. I hate August for several reasons, one of which being the blistering heat. I do also hate the fact that school starts again in a week. Lame.

I love a lot of things, but I love having conversations with Dad. They always make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and they always give me a new insight or shed light on another facet of his life. It's so fun to kind of "discover" your parents as people and not parents when you get older.

Blech. I don't really know what to write, I guess. It's been a really interesting summer. It FLEW by since we had class and clinical. I learned a lot, discovered that Peds might be for me, I went on three vacations, hung out with several really fantastic people, and had some new experiences, which always makes my life feel a little fuller.

I just got back from a trip with two of my best friends to New York City. It was a really good trip, but also a really eye-opening one. I had never spent that much time with either of them really, so it was interesting to see how we interacted for a week. It made my relationships with both of them change a little because I realized new things about both of them. I always say: traveling with someone makes you see all the ugly. I didn't see ALL the ugly, but I did see new sides of them that I had never seen before, and it made me appreciate them both for the humans that they are, and the women that we are all becoming.

I also realized that I am a true Kansas girl. Not that I want to live here forever, because that is DEFINITELY not true, but that I enjoy giving people the time of day, and moving out of the effing way when I'm walking down the street, and giving two shits that someone needs my help. When you live in a big city like New York, it's really easy to get wrapped up in yourself and your schedule and your friends. You make the huge city small because it is so overwhelming. I just hope that wherever I end up, I don't lose my good ol' Midwestern values and upbringing. As old-fashioned as that sounds: take it or leave it, because it's the truth.

It's so funny how we all change over time, how we evolve into ourselves. We go to school, get jobs, move away, meet new people, have new roommates, and learn about ourselves all at the same time. I just hope that I never stop learning, and that I never forget to literally stop and smell the roses.

No comments: